This is shaping up to be a busy travel year for me. I’ll be spreading a lot of self-storage legal information all over the county. There’s so much to share and so many new developments, which cause me to constantly update my presentations. Along the way, I hope to meet many of you, communicate my perspective, get feedback, and for those who are interested, tell you a little about Late2Lien, my newest venture of which I’m so proud.
Some of these dates and topics are tentative, so check back for more info. But at the very least, you can circle one or more of these dates or your calendar, and I’ll add more as the year goes on.
- On March 22, at the Ohio Self Storage Association meeting in Columbus, I’ll be talking about the new Ohio lien law. I’ll present an overview of the law, discuss specific issues of which you need to be aware, and provide time for Q&A. This will be at the Columbus Airport Marriott.
- Late2Lien will participate in the SiteLink User Conference, April 2, in Las Vegas.
- During April 3-5, I’ll be at the Inside Self-Storage World Expo in Las Vegas, which is the biggest show of the year. It takes place at the Paris Hotel & Casino. There I’ll be presenting two seminars as part of the standard education program as well as my famous Legal Learning Live workshop, which takes place on April 5. You can enroll in this half-day class as an a la carte offering or as part of the expo’s Premium Package. When I’m not presenting, I’ll be working in the Late2Lien booth (#210) in the exhibit hall. Come visit me and learn about Late2Lien or ask other questions you didn’t get to ask during the show.
- On May 9 I’ll be teaching a legal “Boot Camp” with the California Self Storage Association. Details are still being finalized, but this class will be one in a series of four taking place throughout California in 2013. The intent is to provide a half day of owner/manager education on a variety of important legal topics. For some, it will be a chance to “brush up” on legal knowledge; for others, it will be quite a learning experience. Either way, I promise to make you think, laugh and probably change at least 10 policies at your facility. The other tentative dates are June 13 in North California, July 25 in Central California and October 10, location to be determined.
- On May 15, I’ll be speaking at the Wisconsin Self Storage Association Spring Business Meeting at the Wisconsin Club in Milwaukee. The topic is “5 Hot Topics to Protect Your Self-Storage Business.”
- Finally, on Oct. 16 and 17, I’ll be at the New York Self Storage Association Annual Meeting at the Turning Stone Resort and Casino in Verona, N.Y.
My presentations are best enjoyed with friends and large groups of self-storage operators. If none of those are available, then with liquor. So grab a friend or competitor and come see me at one or more of these events. Believe me, I’m not doing all this travel for my health; I really want to help owners, managers and operators understand the laws and requirements of day-to-day operations so you can do right by yourself, your business and your customers. It’s part of my mission to make the law understandable and bring it out to places where you can learn it and apply it right way. See you soon.